Updated COVID Protocols

 Face masks are required in all indoor facilities regardless of vaccination status. Effective January 1, 2022, proof of vaccination will be required for students, employees and visitors. Visit dccc.edu/coronavirus for additional information.

Delaware County Community College, Serving Delaware and Chester Counties

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

ESL student FAQs:

How do I apply to Delaware County Community College?

Please visit Admissions.

Return to top >>

Will the College accept TOEFL or IELTS scores for a waiver of ESL placement testing?

Yes. TOEFL or IELTS scores are not required for admission. During Orientation, students will be tested and placed in the appropriate level of English language classes. To review for the ESL placement test, visit accuplacer.collegeboard.org.

A TOEFL iBT score of 80+, TOEFL PBT score of 550+, or IELTS score of 6.5+ will qualify you to take the English placement test (and not the ESL placement test.).

Scores must be current within 5 years.

Return to top >>

Do I have to take an ESL placement test?

Students whose first language is not English take the ESL placement. Students who have taken English Composition I at a U.S. college or university, and earned a "C" or better in the course, and students with high enough TOEFL or  IELTS scores may be exempt from the ESL placement test.

Return to top >>

Do I have to take ESL courses?

This depends on your placement test scores. Your advisor will explain the scores, offer advice, and help you to register you for appropriate courses.

Return to top >>

Do I have to take ESL courses even though I have taken them at another school?

ESL credits do not transfer, so this depends upon your placement test scores. It is rare but possible to test out of ESL and go directly into development English or English Composition I. 

Return to top >>

Can I skip levels?

Students are given a subject test on the first day of each class to ensure the accuracy of the initial placement test scores. If students score high enough on this subject test, they may be recommended to skip a level. 

Return to top >>

Do I have to go to classes?

Yes. In the United States, students are expected to attend all classes and participate in class. Students who cannot attend a class should inform the instructor beforehand.

Return to top >>

Do I have to go to tutoring?

Yes. Students in ESL Writing, Reading, and Speaking/Listening are required to attend tutoring sessions. Tutoring is a natural and practical way to practice what you've learned in class.

Return to top >>

What will happen if I miss classes and tutoring sessions?

You may receive lower grades in your classes or even fail your classes, depending on how much information, participation, tests, and work you miss. Consult with your instructor and advisors.

Return to top >>

What happens if I get very sick and I miss a lot of classes?

It is very important for you to discuss your situation and possible resolutions with your instructors and advisors.

Return to top >>


Do ESL courses transfer?

The College does not accept transfer-in ESL courses. Most institutions will not accept ESL credits for transfer.

Return to top >>

Which grades are given for ESL courses?

For ESL and developmental courses, students receive one of the following grades:

High Pass -- HP
Pass -- P
No Pass -- NP

Return to top >>

Are there other developmental courses that I must take after ESL?

Yes. Two developmental courses, ENG 050 (Writing) and REA 050 (Reading), or one course called REA 075 (a combination of ENG 050 and REA 050), are required. These courses bridge students from ESL to academic English Composition I (ENG 100).

Return to top >>

How long will it take to complete ESL courses?

This depends on a number of factors: your placement test scores; your academic progress; how many classes you take each semester; whether you study in summer; and whether you test out of any levels. For a full-time student, the ESL Program ranges from 0-1.5 years to complete.

Return to top >>

Can I take credit courses while I take ESL courses?

Students in the Intermediate I levels of the ESL program may take regular academic courses, but only in addition to the required ESL courses. Advisors and students should select courses carefully to ensure that students will succeed in the courses for which they are eligible. The additional credit courses should not require a great deal of essay writing.

Return to top >> 

How can I adjust to the College's learning environment more efficiently?

Please refer to the ESL Online Resource Center sections “Academic Life” - Academic system; “College life” - Expectations of students in U.S. colleges and classrooms; and “Fighting culture shock” - Life in the U.S.

Return to top >>

Does Delaware County Community College have a dormitory or residence hall?


Return to top >>