Act 101 is a program for Pennsylvania residents who are educationally under-prepared and who need financial assistance in order to become ready for college-level courses.
The Act 101 Program is designed to provide educational support services that strengthen students’ academic skills and increase their confidence in their own ability to achieve. Students participating in Act 101 have the unique opportunity to improve skills in English, reading and mathematics before starting the regular college experience.
If you meet eligibility standards, we encourage you to take advantage of Act 101 services and look forward to a more successful College experience.
Are you eligible for Act 101?
Act 101 has academic and economic criteria:
- Academic eligibility is based on a prospective participants College’s placement test
- Economic eligibility is based on your family's adjusted gross income; to establish your qualification for Financial Aid, you must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
What services are available through Act 101?
Counseling services are a fundamental and important ingredient of the Act 101 Program. The program's counseling services will help you realize your personal and educational goals:
- Orient you to the College and the Act 101 Program
- Assist you in career-planning and decision-making
- Offer academic advising and help in course-selection
- Assist you in clarifying values and developing self-concept
- Provide personal counseling
Tutoring services are available to all Act 101 students. In addition:
- Professional, experienced staff members encourage you to become an independent learner
- Computers are available for word processing your reports and papers as well as for individual enrichment in many subject areas
- Study skills workshops and individual sessions in time-management, note-taking, memory techniques and test-taking are available each semester
- Tutoring is scheduled at your convenience during the fall and spring semester
- Tutoring lab sessions are required during the summer program
What is the Act 101 Summer Program?
The Act 101 Summer Program is an intensive program designed to help you make the transition to college life. The program will enhance the skills you need for both academic success and individual growth, and includes course work, tutoring and counseling.
- Developmental Reading
- Developmental English (includes Speech)
- Basic or Developmental Mathematics
Tutoring - Structured lab sessions with professional tutors are required for each course and help you with:
- Study skills to aid in better reading, organizing, note-taking, time-management and test-taking
- Computer use and word-processing
Counseling is offered in both group and individual sessions to explore career and personal development
The Act 101 Summer Program is free for eligible students. If you cannot attend the Summer Program, you will be considered for the fall semester. Students who enter in the fall or spring semesters receive free tutoring and counseling services only. Tuition for other sessions must be paid for by the student.